LMPD :: Louisville Metro Police Department

Bystander, Suspect Killed In Crash Following Police Chase

Police Say Car Was Stolen Earlier Friday


Gayle Norris is the deputy coroner in Jefferson County. She said Saturday that the person in the car who died was 17-year-old Tachone (tuh-SHAHN') Harrison. She says the pedestrian who was struck and killed was 51-year-old Audrey Brandon.

Norris says both were pronounced dead at the scene Friday morning. Autopsies showed both died of multiple blunt-force injuries.

Louisville police had said an officer was chasing what was believed to be a stolen vehicle when the suspects' car hit a utility pole.

Another person in the car also was hurt.

A police chase ended in a fatal crash early Friday morning on Dixie Highway north of the Watterson Expressway.

Louisville Metro Police said officers were pursuing a stolen car when it crashed, killing 51-year-old Audrey Brandon along the side of the road and 17-year-old Tachone Harrison inside the car.

The usually busy section of Dixie Highway was entirely blocked off for hours Friday

The people who had their car stolen spoke to WLKY on Friday about their reaction when they found out how the chase ended.

"We're out of a car, which can be replaced. No life can be replaced," said McCartney Mitchell, whose car was stolen.

When Mitchell and Ashley Hornback found out two people ended up dying in their stolen car, they became less concerned about their vehicle, and more worried about the people who allegedly stole it.

"It was devastating to know that my car was gone, but to find out that people died. It's just so sad," said Hornback.

The couple said they left the engine running, trying to warm up the car Friday morning.

When Mitchell went back outside five minutes later, he said the car was gone.

Police said two men were inside the car, when officers spotted them near the intersection of Dixie Highway and Rockford Lane and started the pursuit.

It wasn't long before police said the thieves crashed into a utility pole, hitting and killing Brandon, a pedestrian, in the process.

Police said Harrison was ejected from the vehicle and killed.

The surviving occupant is 17 years old. He was taken to the hospital, police said.

We were on it pretty quick, but unfortunately it ended tragically for two individuals," said Louisville Metro Police spokesman Dwight Mitchell.

The crash left Hornback and Mitchell with mixed emotions as they cope with with the fact that strangers died in their car .

"What I wish is that those kids could have learned from their mistake instead of it being such a tragedy," said McCartney Mitchell.

The couple said there were several cars in the neighborhood that had their cars running..

Police said to always always attend to your car when you have your keys in the engine. They also said you can be cited for leaving your running car unattended.